Wednesday 19 March 2008

Small children and toys

From my journal:
Up at 6:30 to the sound of children arriving to school and then oh, the joy of a cold shower! Everyday this week I have complained to myself about the cold water - but am reminded that at least it is water and for this I should thank God.
Then went out to see children arriving for school - the Baby class (3-4year olds ) were absolutely delighted to see me excitedly jumping up and down and shouting "Bye muzungo" - I dont think they understand hello - then trying to touch me and hold my hand :) We have been blessed with 2 new nursery teachers who are montesorri trained who are brilliant and have changed many things. The children now sit at small tables on small chairs with their names written next to them and enjoy "activities" - a big development from before where they sat in rows and chanted letters, spelling and numbers. Justine, one of the new teachrs is with baby class this am and the children doing PE which consists of singing and moving to a variety of songs about ducks swimming, frogs jumpeing etc. Eventually i decided to leave them to it as i was too much of a distraction for her to keep 40 small children in order!

In the afternoon PSteve & I took Justine shopping for Educational Toys. Some of the children from Walton Hall Special School in Eccleshall, Staffs had donated their unwanted toys, held a toy sale and raised 150 pounds. This was the money we used..... it was a great thrill to be able to fill a whole trolley with a range of things from toy skittles to counting cards and then a number of cardboard books and stacking toys for the small children. THANK YOU WALTON HALL :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Sue
Just read all your news and caught up with the goings-on in Uganda. I've printed it out so will take it for Dad to read on Saturday, he'll be delighted to hear what you are up to (and very proud). A blessed and Happy Easter to you, Gordon & Bex
Love
Joy xx