Friday 6 April 2007

Another breakage and outbreak of Susans !


Yesterday I met the Lungujja ladies again. The group I set up for them last year is still meeting, there were 15 from last time and 15 new ones who I didnt know. One of the ladies had been a moslem and had converted to Christianity which they were really pleased to relate to me. They were really excited to see me which was lovely, there were great whoops and screams of delight - I had to shake every bodies hand and then sit down. As i did so the chair completed collapsed - they were mortified (its because I'm a lady of traditional build ... who needs to loose weight I think!!) and i laughed uncontrollably from my position of disarray on the floor!! Winter (see last years blog) brought her new baby to see me, another one called Sue. Pastor Steven said he thought there would be an epidemic - its such an honor. Anyway, we talked to them about the importance of school for their children and asked them to complete a questionnaire about their children & their experience of school - the responses were very salutary and a reminder that we take so much for granted at home. The good news was that of the 15 ladies from last year who we had given mosquito nets, 12 had not had a bout of malaria since - amazing. We had also taught them to make paper bead necklaces (if I havent sold you one yet do ask... ) - 8 of the women were now making an income from this and previously had no source of income at all.... Praise the Lord for beadmaking. Where ever you turn there are small groups of women making paper beads! Next week we are going to make a banner together - I have brought lots of felt & resouces - it will depict their children and celebrate their opportunity for schooling.

No comments: